Saturday, May 11, 2013

Nutrition for the Long Run


Since doing more long runs, I've come to realise how important nutrition is for fuelling us runners.  It's not just about what you consume on the run (like gels or jellybeans), but before and after is really important too.  I've been doing a bit of reading and found some great tips - I encourage anyone doing long runs to read up a bit and make sure you're helping your body as much as you can by getting the right fuel into you!

I'm a bit of a no-frills runner, so I'm not into fancy concoctions or over-the-top methods - but I am into whole foods and real foods, and getting back to basics (as you can read here at my other blog!)

I've had to be careful not to use long runs as an excuse to go crazy and eat anything and everything!  I need to get out of that "reward" mindset and stock up on good fuel, rather than eat too much chocolate, "because I've earned it" - it's such a trap!

Most of my long runs (which have been between 2:00 hours and 2:45), have been in the afternoon/evening, so I've had all day to prepare and eat well.  For morning runs (and especially on race day), I'll follow this same kind of regime the day before, and try and eat something pre-run too.

So, I thought I'd share an example of my usual long run day menu, and some recipes with ideas for other great long-run fuel!

Breakfast: porridge with banana and/or frozen berries, coffee OR muesli & yoghurt
Morning tea: apple and/or whole-wheat pumpkin muffin
Lunch: brown fried rice OR home-made wrap with chicken & salad
Afternoon tea (about 1 hour pre-run): dry biscuits with peanut butter & honey and/or banana (pictured below)
Dinner: whatever's on the menu!  Something like Indonesian Beef or Chow Mein or Moroccan Apricot Chicken or Sweet & Sour Chicken.

Brown rice crackers with peanut butter, honey & banana
I hope that gives you a few ideas about how to fuel up with good, nutritious, wholesome food.  I really notice a difference when I haven't been eating well - and I feel so much better when I do!

Speaking of long runs, after chatting to my intraining coach, I decided to have a "rest" from long runs this week.  So that meant waiting until next week for my 30km, and instead doing a 15km this week.  I really wanted to do parkrun, but didn't have many other gaps in my schedule, so I decided to put the word out and see if any parkrunners wanted to join me at Sandgate for a pre-run 10km (then to do the usual 5km as well).  There were 10 of us who did it and it was fantastic!  Running with others meant it was a breeze - I was so busy chatting and enjoying the cool morning and the stunning sunrise, that I barely even thought about the run!  It was nice also to then do parkrun at a steady pace (I had the pram for that final 5km), rather than get competitive and bust my guts like I usually do!  Overall, I did the 15km in 1:20, an average pace of 5:21.  It really was a wonderful start to the weekend :-)

Some of the dedicated Sandgate parkrunners who did the pre-run 10km (then the 5km too)

No comments:

Post a Comment