Sunday, March 24, 2013

An Eventful Twilight (not quite) Half Marathon

Drenched but relieved!
I decided a few weeks back to try the Twilight Half Marathon, which is a pretty popular race in Brisbane.  I haven't done a half marathon since last July, so I thought it would be a good gauge of where I am, and I felt I could have a good crack at my PB.  My aim was to go below 1:50:00.

I had a couple of minor niggles heading into the race: first, was my indecision over whether to wear my new shoes or not (only had them for a week and had worn them 4 times).  I also didn't anticipate traffic to be as bad as it was, so I didn't get to go to the toilet one last time before the run.  I also didn't get to stretch as much as I would've liked, because I basically had to go straight to the start line when I arrived.  All of this turned out to be no problem though, as there were much bigger problems in the end.

This was also my first half marathon without Dean, who was working interstate.  He sent me a good luck text before the run and his advice became my mantra throughout the run: "good posture, good breathing, you're in the good form".

So we set off at 5pm along the beautiful course at the University of Queensland, St Lucia.  I love the course, as I spent 3 years studying Journalism at the campus, so it was a bit of a trip down memory lane to be back around the sandstone walls.  I set off at a pretty good pace - I've heard plenty of times to not go out too fast and run out of steam, so I kept that in my mind.  I love being around other runners.  It really is amazing motivation to be in a huge group of people, all being active and healthy.

When the frontrunners did their first turnaround, I started spotting a few people I knew, which kept my mind busy for a good couple of kilometres.  I really drew inspiration from the people running with prams and wheelchairs, so the first 5km went by really quickly and I was feeling great.  I could spot the balloons of the 1:40:00 pace runner up ahead, so I knew I was on target for my goal.

It was also really encouraging to see so many locals out on the street cheering people on.  I also have to mention the wonderful volunteers manning the drink stations - they are always so happy and vocal in pushing people along, I love hearing their constant encouragement!

At about the 8km mark, we neared the Green Bridge, which would lead to the finish line for the 10km competitors and would mark the first lap for the half marathon runners.  At about this point, the 1:50:00 pace runner overtook me, but I was determined to stick with him.  Crossing the bridge, I looked to my left and noticed a huge line of thick, dark clouds coming across.  I didn't think too much more of them, but within minutes, the rain came pelting down.  The wind was instantly gusting and lightning began to fill the sky.  We kept on running, and at the 10km point, despite the conditions, I was feeling on track and that I could really give this PB a good shot.

Heading down the long stretch of Sir William McGregor Drive, the storm intensified.  The wind was really blowing and the lightning kept coming.  I was drenched from head to toe and had to avoid puddles that were already forming on the road.  The street is lined with trees and branches began falling down.  I saw one medium-sized tree get blown over about 20 metres in front, narrowly missing a parked car.  It started to get a bit frightening, but I stayed close behind the pace runner, and a group of other runners.  We started hearing sirens in the distance and saw paramedics treating a couple of runners who had been injured on the course.

At around 14km, as I approached the Green Bridge for the second lap, marshals had cordoned it off and told us the race was over.  I stopped briefly, then continued to the finish line, where some of the 10km runners were also still finishing.  It was certainly a strange feeling to finish in drenching rain, with an overriding sense of disappointment.

The organisers certainly made the right decision in calling it off.  It really was getting dangerous and scary.  But selfishly, I was annoyed about not getting my PB, when I was tracking so well.  I really felt for those who were doing their first half marathon and weren't able to finish it, after so much build up and preparation.  But most of all, I haven't stopped thinking of and praying for those who were injured during the run, especially one man who was left with critical head injuries.

At the end of the day, safety always has to come first.  There will be other runs and other opportunities to reach goals.  It's been a true mix of emotions and feelings, but I'm so grateful to have finished safely. And I'm looking forward to smashing that PB another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment