Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Running


I was so looking forward to Easter Saturday parkrun as I haven't been able to do the run in about 6 weeks.  Of course, I've done plenty of other running during the week, but Dean has been working most weekends, so Event Director duties have fallen to me (which I love, of course!  But I miss it when I don't get to run!)

The last few weeks have probably been my best training weeks ever.  I've been consistent, while varying my runs, and feeling great overall.  I also got a new pair of running shoes a couple of weeks ago, which I LOVE, so things have been going well!

I wasn't sure how much I'd be able to push myself at parkrun, as my ears have been a bit blocked, and I was a bit cautious about that affecting my balance and overall feeling.  But as I jogged the 1.5km down there beforehand, it wasn't a problem, so I was confident I could push for a good time.

Someone before the run asked me what I was aiming for and I decided I'd be happy with 24:30.

Off we went and I found my stride about 500 metres in, settling in behind a runner who would become my pacer for the rest of the run.  I just stuck close to him and overtook when he overtook.  He was really steady and solid, so I was grateful!

We had a funny moment around the 1.25km when a 3-year-old voice from the pram calls out "are you winning, mummy?"  I said "almost!", to which another runner nearby laughed and said "you're always a winner!"  A nice little confidence boost along the way!

My phone has been playing up a bit since getting wet during the Twilight run last weekend, and I had it on, but wasn't hearing updates.  So I was really running with no idea how I was pacing.  It wasn't until I got home and Dean uploaded the results that I found out I'd finished in 23:52.

I had to double-check!  Had I really just broken the 24 minute-mark, without even aiming for it and bit by bit, aiming for elusive benchmark?  I double-checked my app and sure enough, it was correct.  I couldn't believe it!

Then when I received my results email, I realised I had not only broken my parkrun pram PB by 53 seconds, I had broken my overall, NON-PRAM PB by 27 seconds!  Dean wondered why I was so surprised, reminding me I had been training well and putting in the hard yards.  It just came as such a shock!  I will hopefully be doing parkrun in a fortnight without the pram, so that will be another interesting test to gauge where I'm at.  I haven't done a no-pram parkrun since a cyclonic run on Australia Day, so I can't wait to see!


I followed up yesterday's pace run with a steady 10km along the Sandgate foreshore this morning (Easter morning).  When I got down there, just before 6am, the sky was as stunning as I've ever seen it (as you can see by the photo!)  I really enjoyed the run and the atmosphere of the dozens of other walkers and runners I passed, who were all so friendly and wishing each other a Happy Easter.

I had just Jed in the pram, so it felt pretty light and the 10km went by easily enough, finishing in a time of 54:30.  It was a really nice way to have some headspace to reflect on Easter in the cool, still morning, and also to burn some calories before the inevitable chocolate overload!

So, a satisfying weekend of running.  Looking forward to another week of pumping the pavement!

3 comments:

  1. Wow you are doing some great times. I have enjoyed reading your blog every now and then. I became a runner after the birth of my second 21 months ago and I am training for the a half marathon in a couple of weeks. I've been aiming for sub 2 hours, but after a weekend run that was a bit faster and reading your goal- I am wondering if I need a more ambitious goal.
    I agree with you on the gels- they were weird. I've had good experience with a half banana mid run.
    I haven't made it to my local park run (Ginnindera) - but I hope to soon.
    regan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you Regan! Great work with the running and good luck with the half! Sounds like you'll ace the 2-hour goal :-) Banana is a good idea mid-run, might try that! You should definitely check out parkrun, it's so much fun! Let me know how you go in the half xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the good wishes. I did the half in 1:54:10. So i am feeling pleased with myself. I'm off to get a massage this afternoon.

    R

    ReplyDelete