Thursday, July 4, 2013

Prepped & Ready


The countdown is on & marathon day is just 3 days away!

I attended a seminar last night called "Race Day Planning & Tactics", which was great for getting in the headspace & hearing very experienced marathoners share their tips. Excitement is building!

Today is day 1 of carb-loading and it's been quite full on! We're talking big quantities & lots of the food I usually try to avoid or cut down on - breakfast was a double serving of cereal with milk, plus an English muffin with honey & banana. Lunch was 3 pieces of white bread, baked beans and an apple. Afternoon tea: a glass of juice, a crumpet and fruit & yoghurt. You get the picture - it's a lot! But the experts say it makes a huge difference on race day to have big glycogen stores ready to go.

I'm also thinking of my checklist if things to take down the coast - you can see above what I've got so far: jellybeans, power bars, recovery drink, oats, blister shields, sunscreen, muscle cream & Epsom salts. It's so much more involved than doing a half marathon - it really is a step up to the next level! 

My shins are feeling completely pain-free & I'm still pretty nervous, but also really looking forward to it! Dean has also arranged a Go-Pro camera from his work, so I'm planning to do little video updates along the way.

Stay tuned - we're nearly there!

2 comments:

  1. Go Vanessa Go!!! Good luck and all the best!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa, I am a Sandgate parkunner & I was thinking of you today as I attempted the GC half marathon for the first time. I hope you enjoyed it - as hard as it must have been. You've been an inspiration to me and many others! I look forward to hearing about your success today as I contemplate the full on a couple of years. Alison E

    ReplyDelete