Saturday, June 29, 2013

One Week


In one week, I will be a marathon runner.

6 months ago, I set a crazy goal, and the big day is just one week away.

Cue major freak out!

Since my injury, my spirits have been pretty high.  I've been really anticipating just getting out there for the run, but now reality is setting in.  42.2km is a loooooong way and I know it's a distance that has to be respected.  I'm feeling like my shins will be fine and pain-free on the day (still just a couple of niggles, but only very minor), but I know I have lost some fitness.

At the peak of my training, I was so in the zone.  I was running about 55km a week, and in a great mindset.  But over the past month, since I've hardly been running, I feel somewhat out of the loop.  And I'm feeling some regret about things I wish I'd done differently.  If I knew I'd do very limited running for the 6 weeks before the race, I would have set a plan to do more strength & core training, really keep on top of my nutrition and lose a couple of kilos.  But because it's all been a bit in limbo, I haven't had a plan to stick to, and I just haven't been as disciplined as I feel I should have been.  I've been doing regular cycling...but it's just not running.

It's really disappointing to be going into this far less prepared than I wanted to be.  Two months ago, I was so confident about my 4-hour goal - but now, I have no time goal.  Two months ago, I had no doubt in my mind I could go the distance - now, I'm just hoping and praying I can stick it out.

When my freak out moments pass, I do feel excited.  I really want to get out there and soak up the atmosphere, and for the first 30km at least, I hope I can just have fun!  I have several friends who'll be there spectating, and I can't wait to see them along the way.  Dean & I are planning his movements, and where he'll be situated to restock my supplies of power bars and jelly beans.  I can't wait to get down the coast and enjoy a couple of nights in a nice apartment (child-free - bonus!), plus we have a big family gathering on Sunday afternoon which I am looking forward to SO much.  And I just want to achieve this for my kids.

This week I'll try and do a lot of visualisation about my goal and the race and focus on the result.  I want to have a mantra to use on myself during the run when times get tough, so I'm formulating a punchy sentence to memorise.  I'll have a good look at the course map, and plan out what fuel I'll be taking at what points.  I also have to plan my carb-loading for the 3 days prior to the race.  Check out this plan for an example of what I'll be eating - it's pretty full on!

I'm really excited to be heading to an intraining seminar too, about race day tips, so I know that'll really help to get in the zone.  I'm also preparing my presentation for the Utopia Women's Wellness expo, which is the weekend after the marathon.  I'm writing my speech now, about having run the marathon and succeeded - and that's really helping to motivate me as well!  It's so exciting to think that will be reality in just one week's time!

So, with mixed emotions, I'm heading into the final week.  Most of all, it's anticipation - I can't wait for the day to arrive!  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment