Wednesday, June 19, 2013

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back


Just as training was getting back on track, things have hit another hurdle.

On the weekend, I wrote about how my shin splints had healed up and I'd managed a 22km run - I was so excited to back in the game...but now the injury has flared up again.  FRUSTRATION!

The pain in my shins isn't as bad as before, but it's there.  This week has been a tough one.  I know I need to rest my legs (again), but I haven't even had a chance to get out for a bike ride, with the husband away and a really busy week at work and home.  I haven't been eating as well as I should, so I'm just ready to get this run over and done with!

At this stage, I feel a bit more rest and the pain will go away again - this might mean hardly doing any running until the day of the marathon.  It's not ideal, but I'm just hopeful that my preparation up until I was injured, is enough to get me through.

Another pretty major blow is that my running buddy, main motivator, inspiration, husband and best friend, is pretty certain he won't be running the marathon :-(  Dean has struggled with hamstring issues for several weeks now.  Every time he feels better, he'll go out for a run and get 6-7km before he feels a tweak and has to stop.  He hasn't done a long run in weeks.

It's pretty devastating for him, and me.  We set this goal together and have support each other as we've worked towards it.  We've done many runs together and planned to run the big one together, getting each other through the tough moments.  We've had some great quality time training together, and it's been so fun having such a big, crazy, shared goal.  Unless something miraculous happens, he just won't be up for it.

I've felt pretty disappointed about it...this wasn't the plan!  Neither were these annoying shin splints!  It's felt like such a roller coaster this past few weeks...now I just want the day to be here, I want to get out there and give it everything and tick it off the list.  These last few weeks have been far from ideal preparation, but my mindset still feels strong.  I know if I can get to the start line pain-free, I can run it.  I've come too far to give it up.  Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment