Saturday, June 15, 2013

Injury Update

There's no real point to this picture, it just gave me a giggle!

It's been a looooooong 2.5 weeks of no running.  My patience has been pushed to the limit.  I've had moments of hopefulness and moments where I've just wanted to give up on my goal and never run again.

But day by day, I've felt my shin pain ease, until finally, I passed the "hopping test" the podiatrist gave me (basically, he said I could run again when I could do 30 hops on each leg with no pain).  I tentatively did a short run and while I had a few aches and twinges, there was no pain in my shins.  But I was still only cautiously optimistic, until I attempted a more substantial run.

So yesterday, I set out for the nearby Deagon sports fields.  I've been advised to run on grass to try and lessen the impact and strain on my shins.  It was a 2km run down there, and a 1.6km grassy track around the whole precinct.  I'm not used to running laps - all of my long runs have been along footpath overlooking the waterfront, with lots of variety in landmarks and views.  So this was certainly a new experience!

One I got past 5km, and a little bit of initial soreness (although none of that sharp impact pain I had been experiencing), I realised my body was up for it.  Now for the mental battle of running 11 laps!  I don't run with music, so I had only myself as distraction.

I kept my mind occupied by looking at the horses in the stables at the nearby racetrack, and the teenagers at the skate park.  I mused to myself about the young lady who came along with a deck chair, which she placed in the sun by the skate park, while she did a find-a-word (I can't ever imagine having enough spare time to do something like that!)

11 laps later, bored out of my brain, and sore all over (2.5 weeks out really makes a difference!), it was time to head home.  22km done and I know I'm going to the Gold Coast!!!

I worked out that this run was my 10th half marathon (or longer) distance, and I feel like it's been a real turning point.  The last few weeks have been filled with so much uncertainty about how it would play out...now, with 3 weeks to go, the goal is within reach and I KNOW I can do it!

Now I need to work out how to train in the final 3 weeks.  I'll need to decide whether to fit in one more long run next weekend or whether to start tapering.  I'll definitely try and do as much running as I can on the grass so I can go into the race with no soreness.

I'm SO thrilled to be writing a happy post again!  Gold Coast, here we come!!!

PS This is a great opportunity to tell you about Utopia Women's Wellness - an expo I'm speaking at in Brisbane next month (I spent much of the run yesterday formulating my speech!)  It's going to be fabulous, so find out all the details here and I'll hopefully see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment