Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sidelined...



This will be me sometime this week!

It's 5 weeks until the marathon and I'm sitting on the sidelines, not able to run.

It all started after last week's struggle run, from which I pulled up pretty sore.  I attempted a speed session on Tuesday, but couldn't go very far because of soreness in my lower legs.  I thought it was just general aches and pains, so I didn't push it.  I rested Wednesday and was still in pain Thursday...when the penny finally dropped.

Shin splints.

That delightful condition known to many athletes and runners.  So here I am, 5 weeks out from the marathon and getting pain in my shins every time I run.  Not good.  I have done a lot of research and spoken to trainers and runners, along with a physio and I have a plan of attack.  I am icing them several times a day, stretching and massaging...and not running.  Aaargh!

It is frustrating and devastating and all I want is to get out there!  But on the other hand, I know my training up until now has been very consistent and I have the kms under my belt that a week or so off the track won't affect me too much.  I was also told a little pearl of wisdom from my neighbour, Carl - an infinite source of wisdom when it comes to running.  Your body doesn't realise what type of exercise it's doing - so doing some other form of training will ensure you don't lose fitness while you can't do something else.

It's all I needed to hear to jump on my bike on Saturday and pump out a 2-hour ride, going 40km along the waterfront.  Since getting into running, I've been neglecting my bike, but it felt fantastic to get back on.  I find it so relaxing and it was just amazing to not feel any pain in my legs, while still getting a good workout (mind you, I had a very sore bum afterwards!)

So, the plan of attack this week:  go bike riding until my legs feel good enough to run.  It's not worth risking any more injury by running while I'm still sore (frustrating but important!)  Continue ice, rest and massage.  I have purchased full-length skins to wear, which will hopefully help me stay pain-free when I get back into it.  My final couple of long runs will be on grass, to avoid the pounding impact of the concrete.

It's been a tough week, and frustrating to say the least, but I am hopeful that it's a minor case and will heal up quickly.  I'm desperate to get back to running and get back on track with marathon preparation. Fingers crossed next week will bring a happier blog post and that I'll be happily running again!

No comments:

Post a Comment