Wednesday, March 13, 2013

It's The Little Things

As I mentioned in my previous blog, I've been off work for a couple of weeks and making the most of running in the mornings. It didn't take long to recognize the regulars, who I've passed and said hello to nearly every day. One is a fellow Brighton mum, who I've never met, but a friend has told me about. You can tell just by looking at her, that she's an amazing runner!

She has an incredible physique and runs a long way every day, but her technique is such that her running looks completely effortless! She has been super friendly every time we've passed on the path, either with a big smile or encouraging words. I also know she ran the Melbourne marathon last year in a ridiculously fast time, so I'm always in awe of her when I see her!

This morning, I took the kids in the pram and decided to do some hills. I was feeling pretty good, but it was fairly hot and by hill #5, I was pretty stuffed! I was just a few steps up the hill when a voice behind me said "good work, mum!" It was the lady i refer to as "marathon mum", and she came beside me, took one side of the pram handle, and we ran up the hill together. It felt as light as a feather! The kids thought they were on some sort of ride, never having been pushed up the hill that quickly before! We reached the top in no time, and marathon mum told me to keep up the good work, before running off into the distance. There was another lady at the top of the hill who also encouraged both of us when we got there.

Well, this just made my day! I ran up my final hill and all the way home with a real spring in my step! It's amazing what a small gesture can do. Whether its just a smile, a wave, a "you're doing great" or a hand up a hill - it can be just the motivation to keep on going or to push a little harder.

It's the little things that can make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment