Monday, May 6, 2013

Two Months To Go: Getting in the Flow




Well, it's been a super busy couple of weeks and I've simply had to prioritise family, running and work, which means other things - like blogging - have had to take a back seat.  But reflecting on my training, I realise that I've actually had some real achievements.  And with just two months tomorrow until the Gold Coast Marathon, it's a real confidence boost to see all that training paying off!

Firstly, I smashed my PB at parkrun the week before last.  I was running it without the pram for the first time in a few months, so I was really curious about what time I could achieve.  My current pram (with 2 kids) PB is 23:52.  We had great conditions - a perfect, cool morning with beautiful blue skies - and I just got out there and ran for it!  I wasn't totally fresh, as it was just 36 hours after running 26 kilometres, but I just picked a lady in front of me and stuck behind her the whole way.  I finished in 22:33 and I was thrilled with that!  Yay!

The following week (last week) I got some good sessions in - I'm just loving running with intraining on a Tuesday morning.  It's a speed session, but is different every week, and I love being around other runners, meeting new people and mixing it up!  Anyway, it was a tough week, with my 1-year-old a bit under the weather and he'd been waking up a lot in the night.  I got to Wednesday and had heaps of excuses NOT to go running.  But I just made the decision to prioritise my run and decided to push myself and do a fast 10km.  It's not a distance I do very much lately, but I really enjoy it - so I took the kids down to the waterfront and went for it.  I beat my pram PB (set a few months) ago, and ran it in 54:08 - I was so happy to get under 55:00!  Double yay!

Friday came and it was time for my weekly long run.  This one was 28km and marked my 4th week in a row of a long run, each 2km further than the last.  Each time, I'm noticing the recovery is SO much easier and the mental battle is lessening.  The first couple of long runs, I would get to the end and literally feel like I couldn't run even 2 metres more.  But now I'm just feeling so much better at the end, and like I have a bit left in the tank.  So I set another distance record and recovered really well!  Triple yay!

Unfortunately, it's not all smooth sailing.  We had a wonderful family weekend away up the coast, but I was really undisciplined with my eating (it's so easy to use the excuse of doing so much running!).  We got back today and I knew I had to knuckle down and go for a run.  I did 10km, but I felt so tired and sluggish.  It really is so important to fuel your body with the right foods.  I run so much better and have so much more energy when I've been eating well - lesson learnt!  My time today, without the pram, was slower than my 10km with the pram last week (admittedly, there was a really strong headwind for half of it).  It was not fun, but was a just punishment for eating too much crap.

So, another week down and less than 9 to go until the big one.  I'm looking forward to pumping the pavement some more, putting some delicious and nutritious food into my body and doing a long run of 30km.  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Ness I am LOOOVVVINNNNGG your blog! just eating it up. Have no idea if you check your comments but it is interesting how similar our journey's have been in a way. My first 12wbt was feb 2012 and my most recent has been the advanced 1/2 just ended. But I am only just thinking about the GC42 this year and stumbled across your blog in my googling of the marathon mum scenario. Funny I have heard you on the radio so often I can feel the emotion and hear it in your voice and the words you say here. I am so proud of all your achievements! and in such a short time. Your run times with a pram are to die for!! I have just hit 1:52 for my half and can only goggle at your times :) you are such an inspiration and after reading your blog I think a record of your thoughts run by run is so interesting and valuable that I may even put myself to a new task when I am done reading. Thank you for your honest and open account of an enormous challenge! You are amazing and I now feel like my goal of 42km at 42 years of age in 4 hrs and 20mins is not SOO crazy. :) I think I just may have a little girl crush right now. Looking forward to all of your future updates. Maybe see you out on the track someday. Twilight is coming up... xColette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colette, so great to hear from you and to hear about your journey! We do sound very similar with where we're at :-) Amazing achievement for you and I'm sure you'll blitz that marathon! Hopefully see you soon! Vanessa xo

      Delete