Sunday, November 3, 2013

Family Running


It's been a while since I last posted - my running has been pretty cruisy & uneventful - just the way I like it!

First of all, parkrun results:  I've been trying to get back under 25 minutes for the first time since I was injured.  It's felt like a pretty hard slog and while I'm making progress, it seems very slow!  I'm sure I could do it without the pram, but I haven't had a chance to do a pram-free parkrun in a while, so my pram time still sits at 25:45, which I did on 26th October.  Hopefully I'm back under 25 again soon!

Just some of the crowd at South Bank parkrun
Last week we visited South Bank parkrun to help celebrate their 1st birthday.  It was fantastic to be part of a record-breaking parkrun, setting a new Australian attendance record of 944!  Amazing!  The previous record was 799, so they smashed it!  Several other event directors were there as well, so it was great to catch up with plenty of familiar faces, along with some regular Sandgate runners who visited as well.  A fantastic morning was had by all - and thankfully Dean was there to push the pram up the ramps!

Team Gibson does South Bank!
I also had one of my proudest moments as a mum last week, when my 3-year-old, Hope, ran her very first fun run.  It was a charity run at Redcliffe for the Jason Rich Foundation, and we did the 2km event together.  Hope was so excited and was so proud to don her running clothes (as well as tutu & tiara - it was a dress-up event!).  She did amazingly - we had a few walk breaks and a stop at the drink station, but she was so enthusiastic for the whole distance.  She still talks about her "marathon" and I'm sure we'll see this little pocket rocket at many more events in the future!
My running Princess!

Wednesday night group running is going great guns down at Sandgate.  I love running with other people, so it's a real highlight of my running week (well, fortnight actually, since Dean & I alternate).  We're also looking forward to our first birthday at Sandgate parkrun on 23rd November - one whole year!  Can't wait!

The Sandgate parkrun crew at the Redcliffe fun run
I'm averaging about 3-4 runs a week at the moment, and about 25-35km all up.  It's a sustainable level - enjoyable, not a chore, and enough to maintain my fitness...although I feel like a couple of kilos have crept up on me, so I'm looking forward to shedding those, which I'm sure will help with my sub-25 minute goal!

Keep running & I'll update again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment