Saturday, September 28, 2013

Reflections on a Morning Run


I woke up a bit grumpy this morning. Here's my whinge: I get up at 4:15am every weekday for work.  On Saturdays, we're out of the house at 6am for parkrun. Which leaves Sunday as my only "sleep-in" day. And by sleep-in, I mean 5:30 I'd be happy with, 6:00 would be a dream. We usually leave at 7:30 for church anyway, but to be in bed until 6 is the aim.

Yesterday, Mr 2 was up at 4 and this morning it was 4:30. Not my plan for my only sleep-in day! So I was a bit annoyed, but decided at 5am to head out for a run, since I was up anyway.

I was also feeling grumpy because we went to 2 parties yesterday and I ate WAY too much food. I just didn't have an off switch! So this morning I was feeling heavy and jiggly and unhealthy.

But out I went and was greeted by the most perfect morning on the bay. It was cool and clear and fresh and absolutely stunning. It didn't take long for my mood to lift and as I approached the Shorncliffe Pier, the sun was just rising on the horizon. It was breathtaking. I stopped to take a photo (above) and I felt God was saying to me "just stop and count your blessings".

That was at 4km and so for the next 6km, I did. I realized I was grateful for so many things this morning:
- that I had kids to wake me up
- that I have the ability to run, pain-free
- that we live in the most beautiful spot in the world
- that I have enough food to eat (too much, even!)
- that I am blessed in so many areas
...and the list goes on.

I did an easy 10km in 55 minutes and came home happy, refreshed and ready to start the day.

Running really is the best therapy!

No comments:

Post a Comment